Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Nightmare

Sorry for the lack of posting (see my non-dog blog for lame excuses). This story is a couple weeks late, but it's good so I'll tell it anyway.

There I was, one night two weeks ago, heading home from work. I had left Theo out of the pen, but still confined in the family room/kitchen area, as we had been doing the last week or so. What I came home to that day was the stuff of nightmares. He had gotten sick...again...everywhere. There was diahrea...everywhere. He had thrown up. He had peed. It was disgusting. But the real nightmare was the poop. I almost wish I had taken a picture so I could show you all, but I'm sure you're glad I didn't. Hehe.

The poop...there were piles of it all over (only the carpeted area, of course). Some of it was bloody and mucusy...it looked like jam. Eww! There was some on the couch (thankfully leather!), smeared. I can only imagine him standing on the top of the couch pooping and then riding the poop down the couch cushion like some kind of sport. lol.

My husband and I spent the better part of the evening cleaning it up. It was by far the most disgusting thing I've ever done. Thankfully I still had some of his anti-diahretic medicine from the last time he was sick, so I gave him some of that and fasted him for the rest of the night. With a careful diet the next few days he was fine. Now that I've experienced it once, I don't think I need to spend $1000 each time. Hehe. I'm all over it now. But man, anyone getting a dog, know what you're getting into!

8 comments:

Spectater said...

um, ew. i was EATING!

Manda Girl said...

Oh man - poor Theo and POOR YOU GUYS!

I think he may be reacting to some food he is eating - what kibble is he getting? Might be worth switching to see if he reacts again, but it's ideal to switch to some protein he hasn't had before, an allergy formula or a grain free food.

Hope he's doing better!! Blood in the stool is scary to me!

Unknown said...

YUCK! Well I'm glad he's better!

JuLo said...

Haha. Sorry I didn't put up the proper warning!

Manda, he's been doing fine with his normal food. I feed him Innova puppy food and mix it with other natural foods. I think this time was because I fed him some chicken skin from some chicken Husband's dad had made. It was probably a bit too rich for his tummy. The vet wasn't very concerned about the blood in his stools. I think it's just a symptom from the diahrrea.

Yeah, he's all better. No more problems. :)

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

OMG! Sorry that Theo's sick again! I sympathize with the clean up, we've been there :P

But glad he's better now ;)

Anonymous said...

I was excited when I stumbled upon your blog! I got a corgi mid-January this year and reading your blog made me laugh at how similar corgis are.
I'm jealous that you cured yours of the biting problem. Mine still tries to do it when he plays.

JuLo said...

Hi robin, welcome to the blog! :) Oh man, the biting thing took lots of time and work, not to mention lots of tears of frustration. Just keep trying different methods until one works for you. Just keep in mind that dogs bite when they play, so it's hard for them to understand that they're not supposed to do it. Once Theo understood what I expected of him, he was a dream! Good luck and give a holler if you need help. :)

eikoleigh said...

oh, so sorry about the poop and the cleanup - yuck. It's been a long time since I had a puppy but I totally sympathize. Glad he's feeling better.

Missed your posts the last couple of weeks. :-) Glad everything is better now.