Sunday, August 5, 2007

Why A Corgi?

There are so many dog breeds out there, how do you possibly pick one? That was the first big decision once we decided to get a dog. We had some criteria:

*a medium to small breed
*a breed that didn't need huge amounts of exercise (normal amount was fine)
*a breed with a good temperament
*a breed that was smart and trainable
*not a Jack Russel Terrier (no offense to this breed, but I just cannot handle the JRTs I've met...)

I hate to say it, but cost was also partially a factor. Sure $2000 isn't a lot to pay for something that will give you 10-14 years of love and affection, but my husband just wasn't having it. After looking into French Bulldogs for a while, my husband decided he didn't want any breed that has been bred to be cute over functional. What I mean is, dogs with the smooshed faces like Pugs, French Bulldogs, etc., have those adorable faces because they've been bred that way. Dogs don't normally have this look because it's not really functional for the dog in some ways. They have breathing problems because their nasal cavity is shorter than normal (or something like that), and they have issues with their teeth and jaws because they have to fit the same amount of teeth in a smaller mouth. Also, dogs like that usually have to deliver puppies through cesarean because of the way their heads are shaped. My husband hated the idea of breeding a dog that has so many health issues just because it looks cute. I tend to agree with him, though they are just so darn adorable!

I told my husband it was his turn to suggest a breed when he vetoed the French Bulldog. He asked me to look into Corgis. Why? I'm embarrassed to admit it (though I doubt I'm the first), but it's because of an Japanese anime show called Cowboy Bebop. It featured a Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Ein, who was basically a genetically engineered super smart dog. I normally would have laughed in his face, but I remembered a friend of mine in junior high had a Corgi. His name was Gizmo and he was probably the smartest and most well behaved dog I have ever met. Once I read about Corgis (specifically Pembrokes), I was convinced that this would be the breed for us. They met all of our criteria, plus they're described as having a big dog personality in a small dog's body. My husband really liked that.

So with that decided we set off to look for breeders, and the rest is history...

PS: a great reference I found for anyone looking into dog breeds is this website. It has really great, and from what I've researched, accurate information on the temperament, health, living requirements, grooming, and origin of any dog breed. If you're thinking of getting a dog and you're not too familiar with the breed, I highly recommend checking out this site first.

2 comments:

Chae said...

Hi,
I'm 25 and looking to get a corgi as my first dog as well, and after stumbling across your blog during my searches for information, I've decided to go through and read all your backposts to see what the corgi search was like for you.
Cowboy Bebop first introduced me to corgis as well(I have a plush Ein to cuddle until I get the real thing).

JuLo said...

Hi Chae, I hope you get some useful information! I'd like to do another post on what I think of the breed after living with a Corgi for a year. Hopefully I'll have time this week to do it.

Just keep in mind that while Corgis are definitely candidates to be part of a genetic engineering project for uber-smart dogs, the average Corgi is just regular smart. They are uber-cute though. ;) Good luck with your searching!