Friday, November 16, 2007

Everything In A Name: Continued

I think this is an interesting subject, I've given it some more thought, so I thought I'd do a second post.

First, I disagree that the dog's name has to be influenced by his/her personality. There's nothing wrong with doing it, I just don't think I need to be limited by that. I wasn't named for my personality. I was named for my great grandmother. Heck, most dog's names are probably more representative of their owner's personalities than their dogs. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think it's a great idea to choose a name based on something that's reflective of you.

So in that spirit, I've come up with categories I think it'd be fun to choose a name from:

The first category is actually from another person's suggestion: video games. I love video games, my husband loves video games. The names are unusual but still known, but not too overused (usually). But which name? Hmm. Well I'm mostly a Nintendo fan. Probably the game I've ever played the most of is Super Mario Smash Bros. Great game. Let's see...there's Kirby. That's cute, though definitely a boy name. And I don't think every dog could pull off being a Kirby. Hehe. I won't choose Jiggly Puff (I'd kill myself before I named my dog after a Pokemon), but I think I'll tease my husband with it for awhile! ;) Yoshi is kinda cute as well. Oh, I'd be tempted to use Bowser if the puppy I get ends up being like Ranger, that puppy from the last litter that was described as a "tank". Hehe. What about Ness? Those are all boy names though. Are there any good girl names? There's Samus, but since I thought Samus was a boy for the first year of playing the game (I never played Metroid), I don't really associate that with a girl's name. Zelda is a good girl name for a dog, but I've seen it before. It's something to consider.

The next category would be something ancient Greek or Roman. I have a Classical Studies degree, and I've always loved Greek and Roman culture. Hmm. I don't know any good names off the top of my head. I wouldn't want anything too cliche, like Caesar, Augustus, Odysseus, Zeus, etc.

And lastly, I was a child of the 80s. I was thinking it could be fun to pick a name from an 80s cartoon from my childhood. Let's see. There's Boober and Wembley from Fraggle Rock. There's Zummi and Tummi from the Gummi Bears. My favorite show as a child was She-Ra, but unfortunately the names on that show were too ridiculous to name a dog after. Example: the sorceress on the show was named Castaspella. Hehe, I never said I had good taste! I also loved the Care Bears, but they had names like Funshine Bear and Love-A-Lot Bear. No thanks. Again, girl names, I've got nothing.

Let me know if you think of any fun names in these categories (or just in general)!

Update: Well I ran some names past Husband, and he agreed that Bowser would be a cute name if we end up with a monster of a Corgi. He also liked Kirby and Yoshi for the reason that in their games they eat everything...and Corgis eat everything...so it's perfect! I'm liking the video game names.

No comments: