Friday, February 1, 2008

Sensible

One of the books I read but haven't yet had time to review is Better Food For Dogs. I thought it was a great book, but it really scared me, in some respects, about doing a home-cooked diet for my dog. There's so much to research and keep track of to make sure I'm feed the right balance of nutrients. I don't want each meal to be an ordeal in which I carefully calculate each and every calorie.

When I conveyed this concern to my husband, he replied, as usual, with a completely sensible answer that made me feel silly for ever being worried. He asked me how I feed myself. Do I measure all my food out on a scale or in measuring cups? Do I count every calorie before I eat any food? Do I make lists of all the different kinds of foods I need to make sure I eat and make sure to vary it every so often? Or do I take a sensible approach to eating. Do I make sure to eat different things throughout the day. Definitely the latter. I make sure that I pay attention to my proportions without being too exact. I have my good days and I have my bad days, but overall I'm healthy and varied in my diet.

It's not an exact science. If I can feed myself and keep myself happy and healthy, then why couldn't I do it for my dog as well? Sure, I'll need to pay attention to his/her weight and exercise level, and adjust accordingly, but that's not hard to do. I'm not going to let myself get overwhelmed by this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you put it that way, it totally makes sense! But I can totally understand why one would fret about it, given all that happened in the commercial dog food world this past year.

BTW, I voted for Theodore! He's just soooo adorable! Love that speckled nose :)

JuLo said...

Thanks for voting! Hehe. Well the breeder still hasn't told me much about Alice, so I'm trying not to get on the Theodore wagon too hard. But let's face it, I've been on the Theodore wagon since I first laid eyes on him. Hehe.