Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Little Sister

Over the weekend Husband was gushing about how wonderful and adorable Theo is and how much he'd like to get a puppy from the same parents if when we get a second dog. Since our breeder said she had been breeding Corgis for 5 years (and that was over a year ago, so more like 6 or 7 years now), and I assumed that she'd had Darlene (Theo's mama) for most of that time, I figured we didn't have a lot of chances left to get a puppy from Darlene and Dawson (Theo's papa). So I emailed the breeder the next day to ask how many more litters she is planning to have with the two of them... One. Just one!

Darlene is being retired from breeding after her litter this year (December again most likely). Good for her! But boo for me! That means that if we're not ready for another dog at the end of this year (Theo will have only just turned a year old), we'll never have another chance to try and get a Theo-ina.

Honestly, I don't think we'll quite be ready for another dog by the end of the year. I wish we were, I'd love to get another dog to keep Theo company all day everyday, but there's a problem with this thing called money. We could definitely afford to feed and house a second dog, but not as comfortably as I'd like to. We still have practically no backyard. We have two tiny sedans that barely hold Theo's crate, let alone two dogs. On the other hand, the idea of having to wait until we move and buy a bigger car is just torture.

*sigh*

So right now the answer is no, no little sister for Theo. But I'm secretly hoping things change directions by the end of the year. ;)

No comments: