Monday, October 6, 2008

Just What I Need

The great thing about having a dog is how sensitive they can be to your emotions. When I'm sad Theo doesn't try and "fix it" like a man would. He doesn't hover and suffocate me like a woman might. He's just there, and mellow, and extra sweet. I had a pretty rough day today. I ended up just leaving work in the middle of the day because I don't think staying would have been conducive to my staying employed. I left Theo at doggy daycare so he could have his usual exercise and play. But when I picked him up this afternoon, boy was it a pick me up I desperately needed.

Rather than his usual impatient, whimpering self on the car ride home, he was quiet and mellow. He laid right down and was cool with my softly petting him the whole drive home. It was just what I needed. It reminds me of the time I was sick for a whole week a few months ago and Theo was so comforting to me then too.

Theo might be the biggest pain in my arse (bigger than Husband, and that's saying something), but part of what makes Corgis so fun is how they can be such trouble makers one minute, and do something that completely warms you heart the next. Man, I'm such a sucker.

7 comments:

flanthrower said...

I was watching this really interesting PBS Nature series on dogs...a lot of it was about the genetic evolution/development of dogs. One of the things they kept coming back to is how dogs are almost supernaturally tuned into their humans in a way unlike almost no other domesticated animal. A lot of the dogs I've known could definitely read a room better and faster than many humans I know. =)

Unknown said...

Oh I'm so sorry you had such a bad day, although I'm very glad that Theo was there to make you feel better. I've noticed that with all the dogs I've had, they seem to notice when you are in a bad mood or sick, and know just what to do to make you feel better.

JuLo said...

flanthrower, that sounds really interesting. Though really, I couldn't picture a "in tune with my feelings" hamster, so I think that makes sense. :p

Lynn, thanks. I'm glad Theo was there too! I have a feeling Theo's reasoning goes something like "no one is allowed to put mommy in a bad mood but me!" Hehe.

eikoleigh said...

aaaah.... sweet. :-)

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that dogs can tell if you're feeling bad or have had a bad day. I was really sick a little while ago, Grover was maybe 6 months then. Usually he's kind of brat when I get home from work cause he's just ready for attention and wants me to focus on him! But this day, I came home and was so sick and in pain and I just laid on the couch and cried. Grove just curled up next me and looked into my face. He would whimper sometimes, but it wasn't a bratty whimper (the "I want to play" whimper), it was a "I'm sad for you" whimper. I swear! He was so calm and sweet for the entire time that I was sick.
Our little Furkids are really the best, aren't they?

JuLo said...

Awww, good boy Grover! That sounds very sweet. I'm sorry you had the occasion to warrant such compassion form him, but it's nice that our furkids are there to give it. :D

flanthrower said...

It's a Nature documentary..."Dogs that Changed the World--Dogs by Design." Really interesting and getting a lot of airtime on my local pbs station.