Monday, September 24, 2007

Which Breed Sounds Good?

Alright, Spectater, which of these breeds, if any, sound like one you'd like me to look into?

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel -- These dogs are small and adapt well to their surroundings. They are friendly, and want lots of love and companionship. They're in the toy group.

Cavapoo -- The breed above mixed with a poodle.

Cockapoo -- This is a cross between Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle. Cocker Spaniels are supposed to have a bad temperament, partly because they're so inbred. That's just what I've heard. If you wanted one of these, I would get to know the temperament of the parents (and past litters if possible) to make sure you know what you're getting.

Even better might be a Cavachon, which is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mixed with a Bichon Frise. The Bichon Frise also has the hypo-allergenic fur, and from what I've read, I think I would prefer their temperament to a poodle's.

Ok, I just got completely overwhelmed by all the breeds out there. I came up with 4 by only looking at Spaniels. I would suggest first, taking this breed quiz, second, crossing off the list given after the quiz all the breeds you know you don't want (based on size, temperament, looks, etc.), including any breeds within the hybrids suggested, then third, giving me the list to hack down further. That at least can give you some idea of where to start. Since you're not planning to get a dog for a long time, that gives you plenty of time to leisurely hunt around for a good breed. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the breeds out there, so these quizzes help narrow it down (there are other websites with similar questionnaires). If there's a type of dog you tend towards (like I tended towards the Spaniel just now), let me know that too.

Or, you know, just get a labrodoodle or goldendoodle and be done with it. ;p

7 comments:

Spectater said...

any sounds good. i dunno anything about them.

JuLo said...

Dude, Cavachons are frakkin cute! Check it out:
http://www.puppyfinder.com/breed_images/227_image1thumb.jpg

I want one! Want me to do my next Breed of the Month on any of those?

JuLo said...

darn add 1thumb.jpg after image to get the pic. Or better yet, see my next post!

Spectater said...

i like the cavachon and they looked good in your post and that chick talked all this shit about hybrid dogs (if you inbreed dogs isn't it more likely that a puppy will inherit health problems that BOTH parents are more likely to have if they're both the same breed?) and now i'm just tired thinking about it because apparently my dog could be a serial killer dog if i get a mixed breed.

i think i'm gonna get one of those robot dogs. Or I'll have some kids. Those don't require all this research, right? You just pop them out and then make sure you leave them some canned tuna when you go out. Oh, and you can't forget to leave them a can opener. See? I'm already a good mom.

JuLo said...

LOL! OMG, I almost peed my pants!

I don't know much about the health of mixed vs. purebred, but it's possible that if both parents have genetic problems, they could compound in their offspring. Of course, I think the opposite could also be true then. I just don't know. :(

Hey, if research is the only thing ever keeping you from a dog, you just let me know and I'll do all the research for you. You know I love that sh*t. ;)

Spectater said...

Damn. I could have used you to help with some of my briefs at my old job. Hey julo, could you find me a couple cases saying we win summary judgment? That would've been awesome.

JuLo said...

Psh! I meant dog research! I don't know nothin' about no lawyering! Hell, I don't even do the research I should for my own job! I'm supposed to be reading technical magazines and keeping an eye out for new technologies. No thanks!