Monday, November 3, 2008

WE PASSED!!!

Good boy Theo!


Theo is officially a good citizen of the canine world! Like most things exciting that happen in my life, this event comes with some elements of strife. The trainer realized halfway through class that they had never reset the timer on the lights in the training yard for daylight savings. She was nervous about the lights going off in the middle of the test so she decided to give everyone the test at lightning speed...all at the same time. It was definitely unconventional. All in all I think Theo did really well on the test, surprisingly. He did everything the first time and required very little coaxing from me. His only issue, as I mentioned before, was his barking. He was definitely better than normal, and he would always quiet down when I asked him to (for a time), but I don't know what would have usually counted as a fail.

After the test (and everyone who took it passed), the trainer made a comment a bit under her breath that while everyone passed, probably not everyone would have during a usual test. I thought that was a bit harsh (why pass people if you don't think they should?), and detracted a bit from the excitement of passing. Did he really pass? I didn't take the CGC test just because I could. I took it because to me it genuinely stands for something.

I think that maybe I'm just being paranoid. After all, he did really well in the test! I was actually surprised he did so well. She was probably talking about one of the other dogs who didn't want to get brushed, or who jumped during greeting. I know it's going to bother me, so I'll probably email her tomorrow and ask if she thought Theo would really pass given the test under normal circumstances, but until then I choose to believe that Theo is a canine good citizen and I am extremely proud of him!!!

I had to laugh. During the supervised separation, Theo was amazing. He sat in one spot and didn't make a peep the whole time I was gone. I told the trainer that it must just be around me that he likes to bark. Go figure. And that's really all it is. He's excited and wants to tell me all about it. He always has a big smile on his face when he barks. I understand, but it's hard to think that such happy communication makes him a bad citizen. Hehe.

PS: I just found out this morning that I'll be traveling for work the rest of the week (boo!). I'm taking my laptop so this shouldn't mean any disruption in my NaBloPoMo daily posting. But it may mean I'm a bit terse. Bare with me.

13 comments:

eikoleigh said...

Yay (and Congrats!!) on Good Canine!

Boo on travel! >:-(

Kelly said...

Congrats Theo!

ana said...

Congratulations Theo! What a great accomplishment!!! You've inspired me to keep up the training with Taco. :)

RevCindi said...

Wahoo! Congrats Theo!!! Great job!

Puglette said...

Yay! Congratulations to you both for passing.
Hugs,
Puglette
:O)

Unknown said...

Yay, congratulations! Lucy and I definitely have some work to do!

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

Whoo hooo! Congratulations. I told Bailey she would have her CGC stripped away because she *twinkled* on the kitchen floor. IN her defense, it was raining. But she is still a wicked monkey Corgi. ^..^

Jenna Z said...

Ooh, BIG congrats!!! I would say as long as he didn't bark during the separation, you are good to go! That's really the only time barking counts against you. Now, in obedience or rally, constant barking would NOT be allowed at any time, but I think he just has a lot to say! And apparently he wants you specifically to hear it! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! I'm inspired too! I'm definitely going to keep working with Grover...it may be a long hard road! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! I'm inspired too! I'm definitely going to keep working with Grover...it may be a long hard road! :)

flanthrower said...

Congrats to you and Theo!

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

Yay!! I knew he would pass, hee hee! I agree with you on the tester's comments about not everyone would have passed under "normal" circumstances. Sounds like some one had a power trip :P

betty said...

Yea for Theo and for you!! congrats to both of you!! lots of hard work I'm sure to get him trained to do this!!

betty